Holland America Line Global Case Competition
Congratulations to the Winning Team: Colin Chang, Tomo Kumaki, Ian (Xinwei) Tan, and JC Vanbrunt!
The Holland America Line Global Case Competition is an annual event in which teams of undergraduate business students apply their knowledge and skills to a real-life international business problem. Panels of judges evaluate team analyses and recommendations based on the teams' diagnosis of the problem, application of theory and classroom concepts, ability to communicate ideas, teamwork, and creativity.
Final Round Presentations
- Grand prize: $1,000; Runner Up: $500
- Pre-competition workshops
- 48 hours to develop analysis
- Preliminary and final rounds
- Awards reception
- NEW: Freshman Direct Track & Prize
Time Commitment Overivew
- Kick-off Event: Wednesday 11/7, 5:30-6:30pm
- Pre-Competition Workshops: Optional, more info to come
- Case Analysis: Wednesday 11/14 at 5pm to Friday 1/16 at 5pm
- Competition: Preliminary and Final Rounds
- Awards Reception: Saturday 11/17, 5pm-6pm
The 2012 Holland America Line Global Case Competition will take place on the UW Seattle campus. The competition starts at 5 pm Wednesday, November 14th when teams are given the business case. Teams will then have 48 hours to anyalyze the problem, develop a solution and create a powerpoint presentation. Teams will email their PowerPoint presentations at the end of the 48 hours on Friday, November 16th at 5pm. Changes to the presentation cannot be made once the presentation has been submitted.
All teams will present in front of a panel of corporate judges on Saturday, November 17th, 2012. The presentations are 10 minutes, followed by a 10 minute question and answer session, and a 5 minute feedback session from the judges. The top four teams from the morning round will move on to the Final Round in the afternoon.
Teams consist of four students. Each team that signs up by the deadline will be guaranteed a spot in the competition. In the past, students have found that choosing team members with diverse skill sets is beneficial. The winning team from final round will win $1000. The Runner up will win $500.
NEW: Freshman Direct Track
For the first time in the 2012 competition, we will have a Freshman Direct Student Team Track. Teams in this track will consist of four 2012-2013 Freshman Direct students, and they willl compete in the preliminary round against one another. Each team can have up to one non-Foster School freshman on it. There will be no final round for this track. All participants in this track are still required to watch the final round presentations. At the awards reception, the top scoring team from this Freshman Direct Track will also be awarded its own FDT Grand Prize - $500.
Team Rules & Eligibility
- Teams should consist of 4 undergraduate business students from the Seattle, Tacoma, or Bothell University of Washington campuses
- Teams can have at most 1 non-business undergraduate student from the Seattle, Tacoma, or Bothell University of Washington campuses
- All student participants must be currently enrolled as UW undergraduate students for Fall Quarter 2012
- To compete in the Freshman Direct Track, all team members must be 2012-2013 Freshman Direct students.
- Teams may substitute members until Wednesday, November 14th at 9am. After this date, teams can no longer substitute team members, but may still present with only two or three team members.
- Teams may withdraw from the competition with no consequence before Wednesday, November 14th at 9am. Teams that withdraw after this date may have their names sent to Associate Dean Sefcik to review eligibility in future competitions.
- All participants are required to attend the Final Rounds as either a competing finalist team or as audience members.
Application & Registration
Online registration is open and closes on November 1st at midnight.
In submitting your application, you are committing to participate in the competition. You are also acknowledging that you have read the above rules and eligibity information.
Email or call 206.543.3960
Special thank you to Holland America Line for their generous support of this program.