Lecturer in Marketing and International Business
MBA, Harvard Business School, 1969
BS, U.S. Naval Academy, Annapolis, Engineering, 1957Specialties
Marketing and multinational management (planning, organizing, controlling).Positions Held
At the University of Washington since 1995
Adjunct faculty at Seattle University (1994-95) and City University (1989-91)
Vice President Sales, Raima Corporation (1991-93)
Vice President International, Emerald Technology, Inc. (1989-90)
President, Kantek, Inc. (1986-87)
President, MATCH Inc.(1983-84)
During fifteen years residence outside the US:
Assistant to President, Carlo Gavazzi Omron BV, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (1982-83)
Chairman & CEO, Erskine Westayr, Irvine, Scotland (1976-81)
President, Shaklee International Corporation BV, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (1973-76)
Vice President, Marketing, HB Food Group Ltd. (Unilever), Dublin, Ireland(1971-73)
Assistant to the President Pfizer Europe,Brussels, Belgium and Tehran, Iran (1969-71)
Submarine Officer, Commander, U.S. Navy 1957-67.Current Research
Impact of information technology on global marketing competitiveness.Honors and Awards
Undergraduate Professor of the Quarter for Autumn for Marketing and International Business (2005)Professional Affiliations
Member, Washington District Export Council. Appointed by Secretary of Commerce, 1991-present.Selected PublicationsMarketing, Real People, Real Choices
, (eds.) Michael R. Solomon and Elnora W. Stuart, 3rd edition, Custom edition for the University of Washington, 2003 (contributor).
"An Ounce of Prevention is Invaluable", The 4th R, National Association of Mediation in Education (NAME), Washington, D.C., Vol. 57, June-July, 1995.
"Market Development", Profitable Exporting
, John Gordon, Second Edition, John Wiley & Sons 2nd edition, 1993.
"Using agents, distributors, EMCs and ETCs, Building America's Future Home & Abroad," Puget Sound Business Journal
, May 7-13,1993. Selected Presentations
- "Financial Challenges for the Start-up Firm," Chinese Business and Technical Association, Bellevue, WA, July 2003.
- "Financial Challenges for the Start-up Firm," Northwest Venture Association, Bellevue, WA, June 2003.
- "Sell to the World," US Export Assistance Center, Small Busines Development Center, Export Finance Assistance Center, Office Trade and Economics Development, Seattle, April 2003.
- "Strategic Marketing for Managers," Executive Training, Vietnam Royal Education and Banking Institute, Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi, March 2003.
- "Legal Aspects of International Business," International Trade Development Workshop, U.S. Export Center, Kitsap Economics Development Committee, endorsed by the Washington Congressional Delegations, Silverdale, WA 2001.
- "Market Entry Program for Canada and Mexico" Commerce Department Global Diversity Initiative,Small Business Administration and Washington State Department of Community, Trade and Economic Development, Seattle, WA, 1999.
- "International Electronic Distribution of Software" US Export Assistance Center - Small Business Administration E-TAP Program, Seattle, WA, 1999.
- Business Development Workshops, Export Trade Assistance Partnership with Small Business and U.S. Export Assistance Center, Seattle, WA 1984-present.