Marion B. Ingersoll Professor of Information SystemsPhD, University of Rochester, 1994
Faculty Director of the Master of Science in Information Systems (MSIS) Program
MS, University of Rochester, 1992
MS, Syracuse University, 1989
B Tech, IIT Kharagpur, India 1986SpecialtiesDatabases and data warehousing, heterogeneous and distributed systems, systems development and contracting, IT adoption.Positions HeldUniversity of Washington, Foster School of Business since 1997
Louisiana State University (1993-97)Current ResearchNetwork pricing and performance, data warehousing, systems development and contracting, impact of IT in the labor market, and technology diffusion.Honors and Awards
- Marion B. Ingersoll Professor of Information Systems (2011)
- McCabe Fellowship, Foster School of Business, University of Washington (2003 - 2011)
- Dean's Faculty Research Award, University of Washington (2003)
- PhD Mentor of the Year Award, University of Washington (2003)
- Neal and Jan Dempsey Fellowship, University of Washington (2000 - 2003)
- Dean's Junior Faculty Research Award, University of Washington (2000)
- Senior Editor:
- Information Systems Research (2009 - Present)
- Associate Editor:
- Information Technology and Management (1999 - Present)
- INFORMS Journal on Computing (2003 - 2007)
- MIS Quarterly (2003 - 2005)
- Management Science (2005 - 2008)
- Information Systems Research (2006 - 2008)
- Faculty Mentor, Doctoral Consortium, 27th International Conference on Information Systems (2006)
- ACM Sigmod
- IEEE Computer Society
- INFORMS College on IS
"Computer Use and Wage Returns: The Complementary Roles of IT-Related Human Capital and Nonroutine Tasks," with M. Fan and G. Peng, ACM Transactions on Management Information Systems, Vol. 2, Issue 1, 2011, 6:1-6:21.
"Efficient Techniques for On-Line Record Linkage in Hetergeneous Databases," with D. Liu and V. Mookerjee, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge & Data Engineering, Vol. 23, Issue 3, 2011, pp. 373-387.
"Reassessing Data Quality for Information Products," Management Science, Vol. 56, No. 12, 2010, pp. 2316-2322.
"Design and Analysis of Contracts for Software Outsourcing," with M. Fan and C. Zhang, Information Systems Research, Vol. 21, No. 1, 2010, pp. 93-114.
"Price Competition with Service Level Guarantee in Web Services," with Y. Tan and Z. Zhang, Decision Support Systems, Vol. 47, No. 2, pp. 93-104.
"Efficient Techniques for On-Line Record Linkage," IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, 2009, Forthcoming.
2008 "Relational Model and Algebra for Uncertain Data," with S. Sarkar, Managing and Mining Uncertain Data, C. Agarwal (Ed.), Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston. Forthcoming.
"Price and QoS Competition in Data Communications Services," with Y. Tan and Z. Zhang, European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 187, No. 3, 2008, pp. 871-886.
"Entity Matching in Heterogeneous Databases: A Logistic Regression Approach," Decision Support Systems, Vol. 44, no. 3, 2008, pp. 740-747.
2007 "A Framework for Reconciling Attribute Values from Multiple Data Sources," with P. De, X. Jiang and S. Sarkar, Management Science, forthcoming.
"Optimal Synchronization Policies for Data Warehouses," with Z. Zhang and P. De, INFORMS Journal on Computing, Vol. 18, No. 2, 2006. pp. 229–242.
"Record Matching in Data Warehouses: A Decision Model for Data Consolidation," Operations Research, Vol. 51, No. 2, 2003, pp. 240–254.
"A Distance-Based Approach to Entity Reconciliation in Heterogeneous Databases," with P. and De S. Sarkar, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Vol. 14, No. 3, 2002, pp. 567–582.
"Modifications of Uncertain Data: A Bayesian Framework for Belief Revision," with S. Sarkar, Information Systems Research, Vol. 11, No. 1, 2000, pp. 1–16.Executive Teaching
- Data Mining and Decision Support Systems
- Business Data Communicaitons and networking
- Database Systems and Applications
- Systems Analysis and Design
"Economics of Vaccine Coverage and Public Policy Implications," with H. Mamani and E. Adida.
"A Dynamic View of Network Closure and Its Impact on Technology Adoption," with G. Peng.
"Team Capabilities and success of Online Collaborative Content Development: A Knowledge Creation Perspective," with G. Peng.
"An Analysis of the Market for Security Software," with G. Zhang.
"Absorptive Capacity, Disseminative Capacity, and Technology Adoption," with G. Peng.
"Optimal Policies for Security Patch Management in Organizations," with G. Zhang.
"Impact of Network Effects and Diffusion Channels on Home Computer Adoption," with M. Fan and G. Peng.
"Impact of General Query Conditions on Data Quality," with S. Kumar.
"Scheduling and Pricing to Manage Variability in Information Processing Services," with A. Jain and G. Zhang.
"Predictive Attribute Selection for Entity Matching in Heterogeneous Databases," with P. De and S. Sarkar.Courses Taught
- MBA IS Core, Statistics Core, and IS bridge courses
- Data Mining and Decision Support Systems (MBA, PhD, and executive levels)
- Business Data Communications and Networking (Undergraduate, MBA, and executive levels)
- Database Systems and Applications (MBA, PhD, and executive levels)
- Systems Analysis and design (Executive level)
Foster School of Business, Paccar Hall
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-3226
|"As scholars and practitioners gradually shift their focus from IT providers to IT consumers, the significance of the role of information systems within an organization emerges clearly—in a digital economy, IT not only enables business processes, but IT also transforms them."|