Associate Professor of Operations Management
Director of Global Trade, Transportation and Logistics Studies Program
- DBA, Indiana University, 1981
- MBA, University of Cincinnati, 1974
- BBA, University of Cincinnati, 1973
- Supply Chain Management
- Manufacturing scheduling
- Service operations
- Project Management
- Business Process Reengineering
- At the University of Washington since 1980
- G.A. Gray Division of Warner and Swasey: Production and Inventory Control Manager (1974-75)
Honors and Awards
- Inventory management in a manufacturing firm
- Scheduling repetitive projects
- Decision Sciences Institute Instructional Innovation Award finalist for The Bummer Game: An Interactive Exercise in Reengineering (1996)
- Burlington Northern Foundation Faculty Achievement Award (1988)
- Distinguished Teaching Award from Indiana University (1977)
- Chairman of Faculty Advisory Board for the Global Trade, Transportation, and Logistics (GTTL) Program (1997-present)
Selected Consulting Experience
- "Scheduling Recurrent Construction," with Bruce Faaland, Naval Research Logistics, Vol. 51, No. 8, pp. 1102-1128 (Dec. 2004).
- "Economic Lot Scheduling with Lost Sales and Setup Times," with T. Arreola-Risa and Bruce Faaland, IEE Transactions on Scheduling and Logistics (Nov. 2003).
- “Your Lean Team, Use It, or Lost It,” with Karen Brown and Richard Schonberger, Target, Vol. 19, No. 1 (2003).
- "Improved Scheduling Method and System," U.S. Patent No. 5,524,077 (1996).
- "Cost-Based Scheduling of Workers and Equipment in a Fabrication and Assembly Shop," with B. Faaland, Operations Research, Vol. 41, No. 2 (1993).
- "A New Algorithm for Computing the Maximal Closure of a Graph," Management Science (1990).
- "Scheduling Tasks with Due Dates in a Fabrication/Assembly Process," Operations Research (1987).
- Puget Sound Blood Center: Improving the supply chain for blood delivery using animated simulation
- Keg Restaurant Company: Layout and staffing for new restaurants using simulation analysis
Foster School of Business
University of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195-3226
|"A task worth undertaking is one that adds value to the customer."|