Writing Skills Assessment (WSA) Registration
Your Writing Skills Assessment (WSA) score provides a reliable and quantitative measure for one of the factors on which we base our admission decision: your ability to think analytically and to communicate ideas in writing. Below is more information about the assessment.
- Two essays—the persuasion task and the position task—are scored on a six-point scale and the scores are averaged to create a WSA score.
- Essays are scored by communication specialists.
- No dictionaries or calculators are allowed at assessment sessions.
- We will automatically use scores from WSAs taken during the winter 2015 application period (July 1, 2014 through October 5, 2014). If you do not take the WSA during that time, you may choose to use a WSA score taken from July 1, 2012 to April 30, 2014.
- You will be notified of your WSA results with your admission decision.
- If you are not applying this application period, you may obtain your score by contacting the Undergraduate Programs Office (UPO) after December 1, 2014.
- Practice for the WSA with our online workshop.
- You must register to take the WSA. See below.
- To apply for winter 2015, you must take the WSA on or before October 5, 2014.
- You may take the WSA only once per application period.
- Bring a valid picture ID with you to the testing session.
- Once payment is confirmed, we will send you a detailed email with reminders about what to bring with you on the day of the assessment and the location.
- We do not offer refunds, transfer payments between campuses, or allow students to change their assigned WSA date once confirmation has been sent.
On-Campus (Standard) Registration
Follow the Registration Links below if you wish to take the WSA at the University of Washington in Seattle. To take the WSA at UW Bothell or UW Tacoma, contact those institutions. If you wish to test at an institution other than the University of Washington or you need special accommodations complete the respective registration form. See below for details.
||Friday, March 6
||Friday, March 13
||Saturday, March 14
||Friday, March 20
||Saturday, March 21
||Saturday, March 28
||Saturday, April 4
Special Accommodations Registration
Nonstandard testing arrangements are available for students with current documented disabilities.
- You will be contacted to schedule a testing time during normal business hours: Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Please provide your academic accommodations plan from your current college or university—we do not need your diagnosis paperwork.
- Complete the Special Accommodations Registration form. We will not accommodation forms after September 19, 2014.
If you live more than 50 miles from or have more than a 90 minute commute to any UW campus, you may use the following form to register to take the WSA at an institution other than the University of Washington. If you require special accommodations, please include supporting documentation with your registration form. Note: International testing is not available.